Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Take the Time


This is a photo of my mama and me. I am so happy that I still have her, yet I write this blog with a heavy heart.
My dear sister-in-law lost her mother this week to a heartwrenching battle with Alzheimer's. It was so hard for their family to watch their mom slowly fade away, but I know that it must have been even harder to say that final goodbye. I cannot pretend to know what she is going through, but I know in my heart it cannot be easy. A mom is one that meets our every need when we are born, she teaches us, she care for us, and she sacrifices for us. She puts her own needs and wants aside for her child.
No matter how old we get, we are never truly ready to lose our mother. Who will we call when we have those questions only she can answer? We can't share the cute story of what our child or grandchild just said with her. We can't call her for that old favorite recipe. We will always think, she would have loved that. Life will have to go on without her, even though there will always be an empty place in the heart of her child.
So, make a call or visit, and spend some time with your mom today if you still have her. Cherish the moments you have. Listen to her speak, hear the wisdom in her voice, the experience of her life. Hold on to all that you can, while you can.
I'm going to call my mama again tomorrow. Just because she is there.

Till next time,
Mamacooker

Dedicated to Patricia Morrison
A loving wife, mother, grandmother, homemaker and crafter.
She will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, thanks for posting on my blog and following, I came to be a follower of yours too, come to find out I already am one :)

    This is a wonderful blog about such a horrible disease. My Father has Alzheimers and it is one that robs both the person and the family. Sometimes I catch my talking about him in the past tense and it breaks my heart.
    He was in the hospital a few months back and all the nurses wrote on his chart "non verbal" well he does talk so we weren't quite sure what they meant. So when my daughter and I were spending the day with him he was very quiet until they had to "invade his privacy" if you know what I mean.
    so we walked out and he started cussing up a storm, which he never, never did. My daughter just looks at me and says "I just love hearing his voice, even IF he is cussing" :)

    well thanks for letting me share-
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my heart goes out to you. It is such a hard time for everyone. You hold on to anything you can because you just love them so. My dad passed away with cancer 19 years ago, and I would love to hear his voice, no matter what he was saying! :) Thank-you for sharing and I hope you have some good sweet moments to come along with the hard ones your going through.
    Friends,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete